Each month of 2017 I will choose a theme that focuses on one aspect of your rich and gorgeous life. Each week for 4 weeks I will dig into the essence of this theme on my blog, offering insights, musings, tips, and action steps that will guide you in enhancing this one life area. The themes are based on the wisdom of Feng Shui, a beautiful art and science that I have been working with for almost 15 years. If you want to learn a little bit more about what Feng Shui is all about, read more about it on my website by clicking here.
You see, it can be overwhelming to look at a big calendar of 12 months and carve out a plan to make your life richer, more full of love, fulfillment, and joy. I invite you to settle in and take a tour with me. Welcome a slower pace. The quick fix is a farce. Let’s dig deep, take our time, and intentionally turn over the rocks in all the corners of our lives so we can live our own authentic, wholistic masterpieces. As Mary Oliver asks in her poem, The Summer Day: “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
We’ll explore this each week, dipping into my special bag of magic that includes intrinsic tools like mindset work, journaling prompts, and affirmations. We’ll also incorporate extrinsic tools like essential oils, mindful design ideas, and strategies for living big out in the world. Because there’s an intimate connection between our inner world and our outer world. Get ready to play in both places with inquisitiveness, awareness, curiosity, and creativity!
The theme that we’ll be working with in February is Love & Relationships. Such a juicy topic! Love and Connection is one of the primary human needs, and we are all striving to fulfill this desire, whether we’re single and looking for a partner with whom to share our life, or we’re in a committed relationship and want to experience more closeness and a deeper, more passionate love.
This is what I believe about relationships:
- You deserve love.
- You deserve respect, honor, and to be fully, presently listened to.
- Communication is the KEY to a successful relationship.
- Relationships are about giving and receiving. You can not be happy if you only give, give, give.
- When you consciously receive in a relationship, you are giving a gift to your partner. It’s a beautiful circle of reciprocity.
- You are responsible for your own happiness. Your partner is responsible for their own happiness.
- When you take responsibility for your own needs, you can then fulfill your desire to have your partner’s needs met on a higher level.
- Relationships are one of our biggest teachers. They’re hard. They take a lot of work. And they’re totally worth it.
- Kids too often take priority over the maintenance of the relationship between mother and father. We need to shift this in our culture.
- Speak with love. Listen with love. Act with love.
- People change over time. Don’t expect that the person you marry will be the same person 20 years later. Invest in evolving with your partner, or you’ll drift apart.
- There is no hierarchy in a strong and healthy relationship. Both people are equal and worthy of love and respect.
- A sense of humor and a good dose of fun is good medicine in a relationship.
- Own your own power. Know you are complete and whole on your own.
Here’s a couple of tools for you to work with as we embark on a month of looking at Love & Relationships in our lives:
Here is a link to a simple quiz to learn which ways you prefer to be shown love. This is based on Gary Chapman’s book, “The 5 Love Languages.” This knowledge is simple yet powerful. Once you understand the form of love that lands most strongly in your heart, you can communicate that with your partner and ask for the support that you need.
I’m a Words of Affirmation girl. I love to be verbally recognized for my awesomeness–that makes me feel loved. When my partner, or anyone for that matter, acknowledges me for who I am, what I do, how I show up for them in the world, it lights me up. I feel seen (that’s my theme word for the year!).
After you communicate with your partner how you most like to receive love, encourage them to take the quiz as well. Maybe all this time you’ve been showering your beloved with love in a way that they can’t really receive it!
Here’s one more action step for you to take today. Notice the length of time you hold energy with your loved one. By this I mean,
❤Make eye contact with your beloved. Just when you’re about to turn your eyes away, touch their arm and maintain eye contact for the length of one slow deep breath in and out.
❤That good morning kiss, or good bye kiss, or whatever/whenever that little peck may be. Make it at least a 3 second smooch. A peck is barely enough time to really connect and share some love.
❤The embrace. Studies have shown that a 20-second hug releases oxytocin (the “love hormone”) into the body. So draw it out! Give a squeeze, kiss an ear, take a breath together. It certainly can’t hurt!
I’ll leave you today with one of my favorite love songs (I’ve got many favorites! Music is my muse~).
If you’ve got a favorite you’d like to share with me, please do! Post a link on my Facebook page.
Have a super sexy week, friends!
peace & love,